Tuesday, 11 December 2012

Kyoto's gotten really cold lately! It makes me feel a bit better actually because this is the weather I'm used to haha. I didn't have as many winter clothes as I first thought, though. I got a good peacoat and scarf at spinns to keep me warm since I didn't bring either with me from home. It was even snowing yesterday, albeit 'snowing' is a bit of an exaggeration (or it was by the time I saw it.) I felt a bit warmer today but I think the cold will stick around for a month or two longer. I'm a bit worried about my electricity bill since my air conditioner's heating function kind of sucks so I have to leave it on for ages. And these apartments have barely any insulation at all, so heat escapes really quickly. I guess that's useful in summer, but right now it's a pain in the ass.

My first semester here at Rits ends in mid-January. It was quick, but my next semester is longer by a month or so. I'm pretty burnt out right now between all the tests and lack of holidays, to tell the truth. The last thing I wanted to focus on for a while was Japanese, haha. I even have class on Christmas day which is quite depressing, but I suppose it does take my mind off the fact that I'm not spending it at home. At least I have everybody here!

Speaking of Christmas, Japan is a lot more festive about it than I expected, with lights and christmas trees everywhere! It's pretty interesting. There's a lot of New Year's charms and 年賀状 with snakes on them since it's the year of the snake coming up. I've been meaning to buy one to send home to my parents and I have to send one back to Edinburgh's Japanese department too. I have christmas cards to send to family back home but I haven't done anything about getting stamps and whatnot. It might be a bit late now but I think I'll just send them anyway.

I didn't get to see many temples surrounded by autumn colours either, which is a shame! I'm hoping if I go along to one soon there might be some trees still with their leaves. All of the ones in Kinugasa seem to have shed them. I wonder if we'll get a lot of cherry blossoms in Spring too. Well if we do, they'll make a big show out of it no doubt!

Like I said, I should begin my holiday in January. I think we don't go back until April, which is one hell of a long holiday! I wish they would split it up a bit more, but having so much free time to explore will be a good opportunity to see everything I wanted to, maybe even Tokyo. I planned to go to Nara at some point, and also Osaka. Not too sure about other places as of yet. Loads of people I know want to go to Korea, and it sounds awesome, but I'd at least like to know a bit more about Korean before I go. I mean my Japanese isn't too bad and I still struggle with simple stuff here. My spoken Japanese isn't really all that good though, I've always been better at writing. I think it's been improving though. I guess for the next few weeks I should just hang in there until my week break comes...but I'll probably be busy, so if I don't return before then hope everyone enjoys the holidays and has a happy new year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment